Are You a Compulsive Overeater?
Now that you have found Overeaters Anonymous, you may want to make sure our program is right for you. Many of us have found it useful to answer the following questions to help determine if we have a problem with compulsive eating.
- Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
- Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
- Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
- Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
- Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
- When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
- Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
- Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
- Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
- Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
- Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages?
- Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
- Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
- Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
- Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?
Have you answered “yes” to several of these questions? If so, OA can help
Click below to get the details for our next Newcomer Orientation via Zoom
In-Person Newcomer and Renewal Meetings
Wednesday 10 a.m. Bristol Meeting Via Zoom
Wednesday 7 p.m. Windsor Meeting Via Zoom
Detailed Meeting Information about these and our other regular weekly meetings on our Meeting Page.
Where Do I Start? Everything A Newcomer Needs to Know.
Where Do I Start? packs key information about OA’s Twelve Step program of recovery into a single pamphlet, including the Fifteen Questions, Tools, Plans of Eating, OA Promise, AA Third, and Seventh Step Prayers, “Welcome Home” story, and so much more.
Download a pdf of the brochure here: https://oa.org/app/uploads/2022/06/where-do-i-start-everything-a-newcomer-needs-to-know.pdf
For a free hard copy mailed to you please send email to the following address:
Visit this link to purchase a digital copy on Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and Barnes & Noble Nook for $1,
Newcomer Orientation Video
Welcome! This video is an introduction to the OA Overeaters Anonymous 12 step recovery program. It contains all the basic information you need to get started as an active member of O.A.
Topics discussed are food addiction; how to understand your binge foods; obsession, guilt & shame; what is a sponsor; and much more.
Created by Westchester United Intergroup of OA (New York).